Friday, May 21, 2010

Goodbye Windows, Hello Open World!!!

Last time it wrote about migrating from Windows to Ubuntu. It's been a hard decision for me since I grow with Windows. I started with windows when I was 8 I think. Now, I'm 23, I'm saying goodbye Windows. It's been a pleasure that you thought and build my skills so much. Because of Window, I improved my typing skills :) I learned a lot of programming languages and web languages -- BASIC, C, C++, Java (oh, but just a bit), ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, Javascript, CSS, ActionScript, and HTML.

Ok, get over it! Last night I installed the new version of Ubuntu which is 10.04 on my Acer TravelMate laptop. My DVD-Ram drive is broken as expected on most Acer's products so I used Flash Drive instead. I downloaded the latest ISO of Ubuntu 10.04 and read some forums that will bootload the os from a removable devices like Flash Drives.

I hooked up my flash drive Cris' flash drive and follow the Windows instructions to boot the Ubuntu ISO. Basically, you just have to download and run UNetbootin on your Windows box. With your downloaded Ubuntu ISO, just tick on the "Disk Image" button and select the ISO file on the box.
FYI: Your flash drive should be freshly formatted to Fat32 unless it will not be read while booting.
After a couple of minutes or three, the installer is good to go :) Just hit Restart and wait until your computer restarts.
Make sure that you enabled USB boot on your motherboard :)
While your computer is booting-up, you will see the UNetbootin boot-screen, just hit the default and you're good to go. Next to that is you will see the Ubuntu boot-up screen and then finally the main Ubuntu desktop that will enable you to test the system and if you liked it, you'll just have to double-click the install icon on the desktop.



After 20 minutes or so, your new OS is nicely installed on your box. My new Ubuntu box is just like Windows, the font face and the crispiness of the graphics is just like Windows too, unlike the previous build of the this OS. I will enjoy learning new things because of my new OS. I will need to learn GIMP for my graphics project but I will not saying that I will need to say goodbye to Photoshop, too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment